Boiled New England Dinner Recipe
- 1 smoked boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh carrots, sliced lengthwise and halved
- 8 medium red potatoes. peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1. Place pork roast in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender; drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving equals 350 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,120 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.