Boiled New England Dinner
This has been a popular dinner among our family for a long time. When we moved to California in 1960, I'd make it often to remind us of New England. We're back home now and continue to enjoy this scrumptious dish. —Natalie Cook, Scarborough, Maine
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 smoked boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh carrots, sliced lengthwise and halved
- 8 medium red potatoes. peeled and halved
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into quarters
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled, halved and sliced
- Place pork roast in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender;
- drain. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 350 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,120 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 17 g protein.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA
, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now