Boiled Ham Dinner Recipe
- 1 piece boneless fully cooked ham (16 ounces)
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1. Place the ham, carrots, potatoes and onions in a Dutch oven. Place the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, garlic and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string.
- 2. Add to pan. Add water just to cover the ham and vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender; drain. Discard spice bag. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 312 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1300mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 4 vegetable.
Reviews for Boiled Ham Dinner
"I made this in my crockpot using a precooked thick ham steak slice on the bottom and layered the ingredients as specified in recipe, except added the cabbage wedges on the top immediately. I omitted the allspice since I did not have a spice bag. I cooked in crockpot till all the vegetables were tender. Delicious! My husband loved it on this cold winter day in Maine."