Boiled Ham Dinner
I made this all-in-one dish often for my children when they were growing up. Now, I fix it when baby-sitting my grandchildren...they love it, too. It's easy to cook in one pot on the stovetop.
Janet Tucker of Bellevue, Ohio
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 piece boneless fully cooked ham (16 ounces)
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the ham, carrots, potatoes and onions in a Dutch oven. Place
- the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, garlic and allspice on a double
- thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with
- kitchen string.
- Add to pan. Add water just to cover the ham and vegetables; bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage;
- cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- tender; drain. Discard spice bag. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 312 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,300 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber,