Bohemian Kolaches Recipe
This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, who received it from her mother! It was a standard treat in their family, made nearly every week. Now I make this dish for my own family for special occasions.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:28 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups canned prune, poppy seed, cherry or lemon pie filling
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm milk; let stand 10 minutes. In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, remaining sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter and yeast/milk mixture. Mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Add additional flour, if necessary. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down and allow to rise again. Roll out on floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with large glass or 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Firmly press indentation in center and fill each roll with a heaping tablespoon of filling. Brush dough with egg white. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until rolls are light golden brown. Yield: about 28 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 164 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC