- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- Additional paprika
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; dredge or shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil in batches; drain. Add the onions, garlic, dill, caraway, paprika and water.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream; heat through but do not boil. Heat sauerkraut; drain and spoon onto a serving platter. Top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bohemian Beef Dinner in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bohemian Beef Dinner
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 6, 2010
"Something different to put over sauerkraut."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2010
"This is tasty. Just takes a bit of time on the stove top!~ Theresa"