Bohemian Beef Dinner Recipe
One of my favorite things to do when I was growing up was to help my mother in the kitchen while she prepared traditional Czech dishes like this. It's a savory stick-to-your-ribs meal with beef and sauerkraut covered in a creamy sauce.Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- Additional paprika
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; dredge or shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil in batches; drain. Add the onions, garlic, dill, caraway, paprika and water.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream; heat through but do not boil. Heat sauerkraut; drain and spoon onto a serving platter. Top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bohemian Beef Dinner in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bohemian Beef Dinner(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review