Blushing Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the thyme, basil and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1 cup cream, wine and tomato paste; cook and stir until blended.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining cream until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Drain penne; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 336 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.