- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onions in butter for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the thyme, basil and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1 cup cream, wine and tomato paste; cook and stir until blended.
- Combine flour and remaining cream until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Drain penne; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Blushing Penne Pasta
Sort By :
"My husband and I love this recipe! So simple and quick to make when on the run!"
"I thought the thyme was a little strong, but I would definitely make it again, just back off on that. Whole family liked it!"
"This is my family's favorite meal. It's the requested birthday dinner for my husband and daughter. I make it a lot when we have company over. I use more tomato paste than the recipe calls for. It's also great with shrimp or chicken added to it."
"Cheesy goodness. Very similar to a dish I loved in a restraunt. I like to add a can of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese then bake it just a bit to melt the cheese."
"This is company-worthy."