Blushing Grapefruit Sorbet
Not overly sweet, this sorbet is a hit at the holidays, when there’s plenty of citrus fruit on hand. Try it as a light, summer refresher, too.Mary Marlowe Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. + freezing
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups ruby red grapefruit juice, chilled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a
- boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Strain
- and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the grapefruit and lemon juices and sugar
- syrup. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to
- manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer container and
- freeze for 4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1 quart.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 188 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.