The first time I tasted this dish was 40 years ago, at a Girl Scout dinner. The individual red apples, arranged on the banquet table, were beautiful and so appealing to little girls. Since then, this has been one of my special-occasion recipes. I especially like to make it at Christmastime.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 10 to 12 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, bring water, sugar and candies to a boil,
- stirring occasionally; boil for 3 minutes or until sugar and candies
- are melted. Add apples; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for
- 8-12 minutes or until apples are tender but retain their shape.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir
- in pecans. Spoon into center of apples. Chill. Yield: 10-12