Blushing Apples Recipe
The first time I tasted this dish was 40 years ago, at a Girl Scout dinner. The individual red apples, arranged on the banquet table, were beautiful and so appealing to little girls. Since then, this has been one of my special-occasion recipes. I especially like to make it at Christmastime.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 10 to 12 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, sugar and candies to a boil, stirring occasionally; boil for 3 minutes or until sugar and candies are melted. Add apples; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 8-12 minutes or until apples are tender but retain their shape. Remove apples with a slotted spoon. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in pecans. Spoon into center of apples. Chill. Yield: 10-12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC