The first time I tasted this dish was 40 years ago, at a Girl Scout dinner. The individual red apples, arranged on the banquet table, were beautiful and so appealing to little girls. Since then, this has been one of my special-occasion recipes. I especially like to make it at Christmastime.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 10 to 12 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, bring water, sugar and candies to a boil, stirring occasionally; boil for 3 minutes or until sugar and candies are melted. Add apples; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 8-12 minutes or until apples are tender but retain their shape. Remove apples with a slotted spoon. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in pecans. Spoon into center of apples. Chill. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Blushing Apples in Country Extra November 1997, p49
Reviews for Blushing Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review