Blushing Apple Braid
Every Christmas for the past 20 years, I've been making and giving these braids as gifts to shut-ins, special friends and teachers.
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) apple pie filling
- 3/4 cup red-hot candies
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 teaspoons water
- Red candied cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk,
- butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat
- on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to
- form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.