Blueberry Upside-Down Skillet Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and toasted almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt cubed butter over medium-low heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in orange juice; sprinkle with blueberries.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter and extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Pour over blueberries.
- 3. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Top as desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice (calculated without ice cream) equals 454 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.