Blueberry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream remaining butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- 3. Bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Cool. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 292 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Blueberry Upside-Down Cake
"I don't know if I measured something wrong, but this was quite flat ... almost like there was not enough batter for an 8-inch cake. Perhaps it should be baked in a loaf pan. It tasted okay -- a little too sweet, though. I don't think I will make this again."
"I had prepared this recipe when it was first featured in Taste of Home! I DID adjust the recipe and I used 1/2 cup margarine, DIVIDED and added 1/2 tsp. salt. I also used 1/2 cup packed brown sugar! This recipe was delicious! Thank you, Charlotte Harrison, for sharing this recipe! DELowenstein"
"Clever idea for a blueberry lover, which I am. I served mine with vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream."
"YES, I would definately make this recipe again. I made it for my Father's birthday because he loves blueberries and it tasted really good. It was a refreashing change from a frasted cake."
"This cake sounds wonderful; have not made yet, but will. There's a blueberry picking farm near our home which we go to every summer. We freeze blueberries to enjoy year round.Thank you for sharing this recipe.Sincerely,"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.