"This cake is a family favorite when blueberries are in season," writes Charlotte Harrison of North Providence, Rhode Island. "It's also delicious served with vanilla ice cream."
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream remaining butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- Bake at 350º for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Cool. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Upside-Down Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p54
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review