Blueberry-Topped Custard Recipe
A silky texture, rich vanilla flavor and fruit topping make this lovely dessert extra special, says field editor DeEtta Rasmussen of Fort Madison, Iowa.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (15 ounces) blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add cream and lemon peel until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into four parfait glasses or dessert dishes. Cool.
- 2. Drain blueberries, reserving juice. Spoon blueberries over custard. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and blueberry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over berries. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 434 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC