- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 8 slices Italian bread (1-1/4 inches thick)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups orange sections
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut a pocket horizontally in each slice of bread. Fill with blueberries.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, orange peel, orange juice, salt and remaining sugar. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, being careful to not squeeze out berries. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 14-17 minutes or until golden brown, carefully turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the first five sauce ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in fruit and heat through. Serve with French toast; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast
Sort By :
I have made this for my family multiple times: my parents and I absolutely love it, I love the large amount of fresh fruit and nice thick bread.
This is a beautiful dish; however, daughter wouldn't even taste it and husband told me not to make it again. I still gave it 4 stars because I liked it. It would be a fun brunch dish for just a group of ladies.
I just made the sauce from this recipe and used it with my 'regular' grilled french toast. We had enough blueberries without it being stuffed. Although we love our real maple syrup, this was a refreshing change. The combination of orange, blueberries and almonds went well together - sweet and crunchy.
Yes, I would make it again and I made no changes.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- French Toast Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes >
- Mother's Day Brunch Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >