A fruity French toast becomes light and lovely company fare when you fill it with blueberries and top it with an orangey sweet sauce. — Myrna Koldenhoven, Sanborn, Iowa
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 8 slices Italian bread (1-1/4 inches thick)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups orange sections
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut a pocket horizontally in each slice of bread. Fill with blueberries.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, orange peel, orange juice, salt and remaining sugar. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, being careful to not squeeze out berries. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 14-17 minutes or until golden brown, carefully turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the first five sauce ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in fruit and heat through. Serve with French toast; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p155
Reviews for Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review