Blueberry Slump Recipe
My mother-in-law used to make slump with wild blueberries and serve it warm with a pitcher of farm cream on the table. My husband and I have been eating it for 58 years, but the recipe is even older! —Eleanore Ebeling, Brewster, Minnesota
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, water, lemon peel and juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl,combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk quickly; stir until moistened.
- 3. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries (makes six dumplings). Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid while simmering. Spoon dumplings into individual serving bowls; top with sauce. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 228 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC