You'll want to stash a few of these homemade morsels in the freezer to serve to visitors who drop in unexpectedly. "Just pop a frozen scone in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, and you have a warm treat," suggests Joan Francis of Spring Lake, New Jersey.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in
- butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk eggs
- and 3/4 cup milk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn
- onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead in the blueberries.
- Divide the dough in half. Pat each portion into an 8-in. circle; cut
- each into eight wedges. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with
- remaining milk. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until tops are
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 220 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.