On steamy afternoons in Eugene, Oregon, Doris Dezur drizzles this luscious blueberry topping over a simple scoop of vanilla ice cream or a slice of angel food or pound cake.
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually whisk in water until smooth. Add the blueberries, lemon
- juice and peel; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened, stirring
- occasionally (some berries will remain whole). Serve warm or chilled
- over ice cream. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream) equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.