For this deliciously different salad, Priscilla Gilbert tops mixed greens with a sweet-tart fruit medley seasoned with onion and cilantro. "It was a hit when I prepared it for our 50th wedding anniversary," she relates from Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Blueberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, apple, orange, onion and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, apple juice, sugar, oil and salt; drizzle over fruit mixture and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide salad greens among six serving plates. Using a slotted spoon, arrange blueberry salsa over greens. Drizzle with dressing left in bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Salsa Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p17
Reviews forBlueberry Salsa Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2015
"Great combination of flavors!"