- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
For sauce, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in cream until smooth; add butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Serve with blueberry bread.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare sauce as directed and serve with bread. Yield: 8 servings (2 cups sauce).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Quick Bread with Vanilla Sauce
"Amazing recipe. I did add 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract simple because I love blueberries and lemon. I made it into muffins. It's great. Taste just like the Blueberry Bread you can get from the store. Will make this again."
"Tastes very much ike a blueberry muffin! This would make a great muffin recipe also! I really like the amount of blueberries in it; it really adds a lot of flavor! I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup and it was still delicious. I didn't make the sauce, but next time I might. Only problem I had with this recipe was that the very center didn't cook all the way, but the outside did. Still a tasty bread though, and very simple to make! :)"
"I would definitely make this again. It is so full of berries and very moist. This is a winner. I didn't make the sauce because I felt it didn't need it."
"Very nice bread! I liked the light texture, and the blueberries distributed well throughout the batter. I made the sauce, but didn't really care for it. Too sweet, too thin for my preference. This bread is tasty plain or with a little butter.I might suggest to collich11 that she try the recipe one more time, adding a teaspoon of lemon extract (not lemon juice) and a teaspoon of grated lemon rind. I've made this bread both ways and received compliments on both."
"I thought it tasted very bland."
"There's just one word to describe this treat: EXCELLENT!!Joscey from Oxford, NY"