My pie has a wonderful fresh blueberry flavor and a bit of tang from lemon peel.—Richard Case, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Combine the sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add to berries;
- toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with
- edge. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit
- top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut
- slits in pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20-30 minutes
- longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on
- a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 440 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium,