Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine blueberries, lemon juice and lemon peel. In another bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add to berries; toss gently to coat.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of pie dough to a 1/8-in. thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add blueberry mixture. Dot with butter.
- 3. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in. thick circle; cut into 1-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Whisk egg and milk; brush over pastry. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4. Bake 30 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake until crust is golden brown and berries have burst, about 30-35 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
1 slice: 553 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Pie
"this was the easiest pie I have ever made! we couldn't wait when it was done, so we ate it warm and it was very runny. I put it in the refrigerator overnight and it was perfect by morning - not runny at all and so delicious!"
"I prefer fruit pies that aren't too sweet. This sweet level of this pie was perfect. Loved every bite. The lemon really adds something."
"Very good recipe for blueberry pie!"
"will try it"
"Very good blueberry pie recipe.. My husband thinks its the best I've made."