Blueberry Oat Pancakes Recipe
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, divided
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup oats and orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg, milk, sour cream, applesauce and vanilla; set aside.
- 2. Place remaining oats in a small food processor; cover and process until ground. Transfer to a large bowl; add the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Stir in the wet ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with blueberries. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Yield: 10 pancakes.
2 pancakes equals 221 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.