Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread Recipe
I clipped this recipe from a magazine years ago and use it often, especially during blueberry season. The bread has a refreshing lemony tang that goes well with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-2/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1. Toss berries with 1 tablespoon flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine baking powder, salt and remaining flour. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel. Pour batter into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove bread from pan; prick top with a toothpick. Brush hot glaze over bread. Cool completely before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC