- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-2/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Toss berries with 1 tablespoon flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine baking powder, salt and remaining flour. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel. Pour batter into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove bread from pan; prick top with a toothpick. Brush hot glaze over bread. Cool completely before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread
Sort By :
"I have made countless loaves of this wonderful bread to serve for ladies teas- it is moist, bursting with berries, and the lemon glaze should not be skipped. It freezes very well, and slices so nice. It has the texture of a pound cake. I have also used half blueberries and half raspberries- which is really yummy too!"
"shame on me for not rating this excellant recipe earlier. I have made this countless times for church tea parties- it freezes well, and slices nicely. I line my pan with non stick foil, and pour the glaze over the bread while in the pan. When cool- I can lift it out and remove the foil, this allows all the glaze to absorb into the bread- even the crust piece is yummy! This bursts with lemon flavor."