Blueberry Lemon Cake
“I always set aside some of my fresh-picked blueberries to make this quick and easy dessert,” says Leona Luecking, West Burlington, Iowa. Lemon flavor sparks the fruit layer and the tender cake.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar until dissolved. Add
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Arrange blueberries in a single layer over top; set aside.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the
- remaining lemon peel. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with
- whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.