Blueberry Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar until dissolved. Add 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over top; set aside.
- 2. Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the remaining lemon peel. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.
1 piece: 233 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Lemon Cake
"I'm definitely going to make this because I love the combination of lemon and blueberries. I will add at least up to 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice and reduce the grated lemon zest to less than 1 teaspoon. Believe me, lemon zest alone is not sufficient to give a good balance of lemon taste - besides, too much zest will simply make the cake taste artificial and bitter. And never, ever use bottled lemon juice, which always leaves a bitter aftertaste."
"Not as tasty as I expected."
"This was great! The lemon really brings out the blueberries, and it was really moist and decedent, especially with whipped cream! :)"
"wonderful....I would suggest putting a pan under the cake because the blueberries bubbled out in 2 of the corners."
"it is in the oven now. I can't wait to try it. I waited till the blueberry's came in fresh for the summer."
"this looks great!!"