My mother brought this old family recipe with her when she moved here from Scotland. My children and husband especially love spreading this fruitful jelly on slices of homemade bread. —Elaine Soper, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland
96 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 5 min.
- 2 quarts fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 cups water
- 12 cups sugar
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- Place blueberries in a Dutch oven and crush slightly. Add water;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, for 45
- minutes. Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place
- over a bowl. Place berry mixture in strainer; cover with edges of
- cheesecloth. Let stand for 30 minutes or until liquid measures 6
- Pour juice back into Dutch oven; gradually stir in sugar until it
- dissolves. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add
- pectin; bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring
- Remove from the heat. Skim any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- sterilized hot pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air
- bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a
- boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 104 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.