Blueberry Ice Cream
The wild blueberries on our property spark recipe ideas. When my daughter and I made this ice cream at a Girl Guide meeting, it was well received. Even today, our 10 children, 19 grandkids and 4 great-grandchildren think it tastes great. —Alma Mosher, Mohannes, New Brunswick
14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar and water. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved
- and berries are softened. Press mixture through a fine-mesh strainer
- into a bowl; discard pulp. Stir in cream. Cover and refrigerate
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according
- to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture
- until ready to freeze.) When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a
- freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about
- 1-3/4 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 226 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.