Blueberry Ice Cream Topping
Here's the scoop on a sensational sauce! Describes Betty Leibnitz of Hallock, Minnesota, "It has fresh-fruit flavor and is delicious with angel food cake, too."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Ice cream
- In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, water, sugar and salt; cook
- and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes or until the berries
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into hot
- blueberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the lemon juice,
- vanilla and cinnamon. Serve over ice cream. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 23 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.