Blueberry Grunt Recipe
The name may make you smile—and the flavor of this stovetop treat is guaranteed to have the same effect. Make this traditional dessert in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, and you’ll hear it “grunt” as it cooks! —Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- 1. In a skillet, combine blueberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the next six ingredients; stir in milk just until moistened (dough will be stiff). Drop by tablespoonfuls over blueberries.
- 3. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are puffed and test done. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 240 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Grunt
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC