The name may make you smile—and the flavor of this stovetop treat is guaranteed to have the same effect. Make this traditional dessert in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, and you’ll hear it “grunt” as it cooks! —Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Blueberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a skillet, combine blueberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the next six ingredients; stir in milk just until moistened (dough will be stiff). Drop by tablespoonfuls over blueberries.
- Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are puffed and test done. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Grunt in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p12
Reviews forBlueberry Grunt
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2011
"Good recipe! I used strawberries instead of blueberries. Easy to follow and nice for company."