Blueberry Grunt Recipe
The name may make you smile—and the flavor of this stovetop treat is guaranteed to have the same effect. Make this traditional dessert in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, and you’ll hear it “grunt” as it cooks! —Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- Heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a skillet, combine blueberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the next six ingredients; stir in milk just until moistened (dough will be stiff). Drop by tablespoonfuls over blueberries.
- Cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are puffed and test done. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Grunt in Taste of Home June/July 1995, p12
Reviews for Blueberry Grunt(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2011
Good recipe! I used strawberries instead of blueberries. Easy to follow and nice for company.