The addition of blueberries in this gingerbread cake may be unusual, but the flavor is wonderfull. The mild ginger flavor appeals to all palates. #151;Vera Springer, Woodstock, Illinois
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, oil, molasses and salt. Beat in egg. Combine 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Place the remaining flour in a resealable plastic bag; add blueberries and shake lightly to coat. Fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Gingerbread Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p104
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Gingerbread Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review