I consider this recipe a blank canvas for different combinations of preserves and zest. The blueberry-lemon is a tried-and-true favorite, but apricot preserves and orange zest or blackberry preserves with lime zest would be fun to try. —Maria Regakis, Somerville, Massachusetts
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup blueberry preserves
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda
- and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and butter.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in lemon peel.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups one-third full. Drop
- preserves by teaspoonfuls into the center of each muffin. Top with
- remaining batter. For topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar
- and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle