Blueberry Dream Pie Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- BLUEBERRY FILLING:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom crust. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 375°.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk until blended. Spread into crust.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Stir in 2 cups berries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Gently stir in the lemon juice, mint and remaining berries. Pour over cheese filling.
- 4. Cut decorative cutouts in remaining pastry; arrange over filling, leaving center uncovered. Brush pastry with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 442 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.