Blueberry Dessert Squares
"This easy dessert will satisfy your taste buds," promises Lori Halme of Battle Ground, Washington. The recipe makes a smaller pan, but you will still have enough flavorful fruit bars to share...or to enjoy the next day. TIP: "These square taste best served warm and topped with ice cream," Lori recommends.
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Cut
- in shortening until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a
- greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or
- until brown around the edges.
- Combine the blueberries and sugar; sprinkle over crust. Top with
- remaining oat mixture; press down gently. Bake 35-40 minutes longer
- or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 319 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.