- For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
- salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat
- until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling
- into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a
- gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Cool to room temperature without stirring; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tarter on medium speed
- until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a
- time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour blueberry mixture into pie shell; top with custard. Spread
- meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden
- brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours
- before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 356 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.