Blueberry Custard Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double-thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in blueberries and orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Cover and set aside.
- 3. For custard, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature without stirring; set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tarter on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Pour blueberry mixture into pie shell; top with custard. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 356 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Custard Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.