Blueberry Custard Meringue Pie Recipe
- 10 whole reduced-fat graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. Place graham crackers in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. Add butter and egg white; cover and process until blended. Press crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- 3. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in blueberries and vanilla. Pour into crust.
- 4. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 5. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 212 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Blueberry Custard Meringue Pie
"A heads up -- the prep time is longer than 20 minutes -- and 10 graham crackers are NOT enough. I made 2, and using 30, was barely able to get the minimum possible crust. I would recommend doubling the ingredients for that to get a decent crust. Other than that -- a great recipe! I almost didn't want to put the custard into the crust."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.