Whenever I ask my family which pie they'd like me to make, everyone gives the same answer - Blueberry Cream Pie! This refreshing dessert has an enticing cream layer topped with lots of plump blueberries. —Kim Erickson, Sturgis, Michigan
- 1-1/3 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 40 wafers)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 5 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine the first four ingredients; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crust just begins to brown. Cool.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in cream; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Gradually whisk half into egg yolks; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into crust; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Chill 30 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, crush 2 cups of blueberries in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Press berries through sieve; set aside 1 cup juice (add water if necessary). Discard pulp.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in blueberry juice; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes. Gently stir in remaining berries; carefully spoon over filling. Chill 3 hours or until set. Store pie in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Cream Pie in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review