Blueberry Cornmeal Cobbler Recipe
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let stand for 15 minutes. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and confectioners' sugar. Add egg; beat well. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Pour over berry mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over low heat. Remove from the heat; stir in the syrup. Brush over corn bread. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 290 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Cornmeal Cobbler
"I kept recipe as it was presented except that since I did not have buttermilk, I soured 3/4 cup milk with 1 Tbsp. vinegar. I used a greased and floured 12x8" baking pan. I'd also used the grated peel of 1 mediumlemon. I baked 40 minutes. This recipe was very good! I shared some with our Social Hour group today and the folks who tasted the cobbler liked it! delowenstein"
"Is there any way to make this without using the butter and butermilk? I am allergic to dairy products."