Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
My mother has been making this coffee cake for years. It is a delicate, moist cake that is not overly sweet. It's perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning!
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg, vanilla and milk; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Spoon berries over batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover with remaining batter. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 302 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC