Blueberry Coffee Cake with Streussel Topping Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in blueberries.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 344 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Coffee Cake with Streussel Topping
"A bit confused about this recipe, my version from Taste of Home baking Classics shows 2 Tbls. of baking powder and while the recipe calls for a 13X9 pan the picture sure doesn't look like it. I baked it for 45 minutes and then took it out because the edges were getting very dark. The flavor of the cake is good, but my blueberries all sunk to the bottom and the bottom of the cake isn't fully cooked. Not sure if the temp is too high for the cooking time. May try again."
"I have not made this cake and I am sure it is great. I have a tip I would like to share. Put the frozen blueberries in a bowl with a tablespoon or so of flour and stir to cover all of the berries. Let the bowl sit in the freezer while you are putting the rest of the cake together and put the blueberries in last. This will keep the batter from turning blue. I do this everytime I make muffins and it works like a charm."
"Everybody I have made it for loves it!"
"Extremely easy and great for people who don't care for nuts. Took longer to bake in my oven than recipe stated, but it didn't over-brown. Will definately make it again! ps - best to freeze berries ahead of time so they don't break down during the mixing."
"I used blackberries instead of the blueberries and it was delicious."
"This was delicious!!! And simple to make!"
"I would like to read the reviews but they won't let me click on them....what's wrong?"
"The streusel topping on this was very crunchy and extremely sweet; too sweet for me. The cake didn't make much of an impression either."
"Use 4 tsp of baking powder"
"2 T. baking powder seems like a lot. Is this the correct amount?"