Blueberry Coffee Cake
"This golden coffee cake has been a fast family favorite for years," relates Joy McGhee of Gilbert, Arizona. "My mother stirred it up on Sunday mornings, and the aroma as it baked always got me and my brother up out of bed early. That ensured we'd have a good breakfast before church."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in
- shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, combine eggs and milk;
- stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with
- coconut. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 2
- coffee cakes (8 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 228 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.