- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg, vanilla and milk; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread half of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Spoon berries over batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cover with remaining batter. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Blueberry Coffee Cake
"There wasn't enough batter to separate and put into a 9 inch pan. I put all of the batter into an 8 in square pan. Put the blueberries on top and then the topping. It was okay but not very moist."
"Super good tasting, simple and easy to make!"
"Prepared for a group of ladies and they all commented on how good it was."