“My husband and I grow blueberries for market-and this cake is my favorite way to use them. Our fresh berries are enhanced by the light, citrusy frosting. I bring this beauty to all potlucks." —Shirley M. Cooper, Salemburg, North Carolina
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- CITRUS FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in blueberries and peels. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peels; beat until blended. Fold in whipped topping.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Citrus Cake in Country Woman June/July 2008, p35
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Citrus Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review