Blueberry Citrus Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- CITRUS FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in blueberries and peels. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and peels; beat until blended. Fold in whipped topping.
- 4. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 472 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Blueberry Citrus Cake
"The taste of this is great, however the "icing" is terrible! It is a sloppy runny mess. The cake tastes amazing, but next time I make this, I will make a lot less of the icing and with only half a cup of whipped cream."
"This was the best cake I have ever made and ever tasted. There were 5 adults and not one piece was left. Everyone loved it."
"I added crushed pineapple (drained) to the icing. My family loved it!!!!"
"Great recipe!!! Really tasty and such easy ingredients! Everyone was very impressed by this cake and there was definitely none left over! :)"
"I made this cake for my husband's birthday. Everyone's reaction was OMG! OMG! It is the ONLY cake I've ever made that was completely GONE at the end of the meal. We gave a piece to our neighbor and hedidn't even wait for a fork before he dug in. This cake is very light and flavorful. Very, very good. My daughter requested it for her birthday, too, so we'll be enjoying it again soon."
"Very light and refreshing! My family LOVED it. Great for summer gatherings."
"Can I use a white cake mix with this recipe?"
"I made this for a Labor Day gathering. It was BIG hit, with requests to make it again. I made it in a 9x13" cake pan, adjusting the baking time to a little less than what was on the box mix. I made and used the entire frosting recipe. It really was a delicious dessert!"
"This has become my all-time favorite cake recipe. Quick and easy to prepare--- and yes, I use frozen (unthawed) blueberries all the time. Simply the best!!"
"I'd love to try this recipe, but does anyone know how frozen blueberries would work in it? Should they be thawed or left frozen? Thanks"
"This Cake is amazing. As a Blueberry lover from way back I'm always looking for recipes and this one is a keeper.susieq11"
"Blue Berry Citrus CakeI made this last weekend. It was so light and full of flavor.Some people didn't like blueberrys and wouldn't try it. I think I will make it next time with out the blueberrys. Even though I had serveral request for the recipe. I loved it!MJM"
"This cake is VERY moist and is not really finely textured - the taste is ok but I prefer a finer texture"
"What is the equivalent ,in Canada , to your Domino or C&H pure cane dark brown sugar, the granulated is your regular white . How about the powdered sugar , is that the icing sugar or the very fine granulated sugar?"
"Yes, 13 X 9 will work fine. You might have too much frosting since you will be putting frosting over only the top. Use leftover frosting between 2 graham cracker squares as a snack or treat for the kid. Yum!"
"I would like to try this. My family prefers sheet cake (13x9x2) over layer cake. Would I get same results using 13x9x2 inch baking dish or is it not recommended. Thank you. Joscy"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.