- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- GRAHAM CRACKER MIXTURE:
- 2-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 36 squares)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- ICE CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in blueberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in butter. Pat into an ungreased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the ice cream ingredients. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Whisk before adding to ice cream freezer (mixture will have some lumps).
- Crumble the graham cracker mixture. In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture and blueberry sauce three times; swirl. Freeze. Yield: 2 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
"I made this recipe exactly as written, using the cheesecake pudding mix, and I agree with other reviewers who have said that this is the best ice cream they've ever made. The cheesecake flavor was wonderful and the ice cream was so creamy. I used fresh blueberries and thought the consistency (after refrigerating overnight) was perfect. I also agree with other reviewers who recommended using half a recipe of the graham cracker mixture. In fact, the next time, I may buy and break up a pre-made graham cracker crust just to save time and to eliminate heat in the oven in summer.I used a 1 quart ice cream maker (gelataio junior) and the recipe as written made 2 batches; for each, I filled the container 2/3 full. It took about 50 minutes for each batch to freeze firm.The addition of instant pudding mix in the ice cream opens up so many possibilities for additional flavors. I'm envisioning a "banana pudding" ice cream using instant banana pudding and chopped up vanilla wafers. This list goes on!!!!!Thank you for a terrific recipe!"
"I have a small Rival 1.5 quart ice cream maker that makes ice cream for 2 (hubby and me). What are your suggestions to size this down for two?"
"Question, can I leave out the tablespoon of lemon juice? Forgot to buy it at the store, got everything else to make the Ice Cream. Can't wait to make it. Thanks."
"Really really good. It's incredibly creamy. Next time I'll use about half the crumb mixture and will thicken the berry sauce with a little more cornstarch so it creates more of a ribbon through the ice cream instead of running all through it. I want to try it with raspberries instead of blueberries for a more intense fruit flavour."
"Incredibly creamy and delicious. I have received about as many compliments for this ice cream as any desert I have ever made."