Blueberry Buckle Recipe
Here in western Pennsylvania, we always have an abundance of juicy, delicious blueberries in the summertime. I like to use them most often in this old-fashioned dessert. It's my family's favorite - and mine, too, since it's tasty as well as easy to make. I always freeze some berries with this recipe in mind.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:9-12 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Toss blueberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in butter until mixture is the size of peas. Sprinkle over berries. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 293 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC