Here in western Pennsylvania, we always have an abundance of juicy, delicious blueberries in the summertime. I like to use them most often in this old-fashioned dessert. It's my family's favorite - and mine, too, since it's tasty as well as easy to make. I always freeze some berries with this recipe in mind.
9-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg and mix well.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture
- alternately with the milk. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking
- pan. Toss blueberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a
- small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in
- butter until mixture is the size of peas. Sprinkle over berries.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 293 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.