I like to prepare this coffee cake on weekends...especially during blueberry season. Served with fresh fruit, it's a nice switch from eggs, cereal and pancakes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add egg, milk, butter and lemon peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the blueberries. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. For topping, combine sugar, flour, walnuts and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry Breakfast Cake in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p55
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review