Blueberry-Bran Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1. Place bran flakes and water in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, applesauce, egg, molasses and bran mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the blueberries, plums and almonds. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Drizzle with honey.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 muffin: 155 calories, 2g fat (trace saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch
Reviews for Blueberry-Bran Muffins
"Very flavorful muffin. I also added a mashed banana, didn't have dried plums so I used dried cherries, did not add almonds or drizzle honey on top. Really good, try them, you will like them."